The Livermead House
The Livermead House welcomes people with disabilities and has developed this Access Statement to address some of the more common issues that disabled people face, to have a better understanding of the facilities of the The Livermead House and how these can assist the prospective client when looking to decide whether to stay with us. As a business, we have taken the necessary steps to become as accessible and inclusive to as many visitors as is reasonably possible.
This Statement has been drawn up from guidelines issued by the Disability Rights Commission and in doing so, we believe we have made reasonable adjustments to the way in which we deliver our services, in order that they may better meet disabled persons’ requirements. Furthermore, it is important to recognise that the vast majority of disabled people are not wheelchair users and, therefore, meeting the needs of disabled persons is more than having an adapted room for wheelchair users. It is a case of examining the wide range of services we offer and understanding the need for flexibility and communication with all clients.
May I ask all clientele who have any particular access concerns, or requests for extra facilities, to contact a member of our team, when we shall be delighted to take these on board and make every effort to ensure a smooth arrival. We recognise that guests making telephone enquiries and bookings may be reticent to discuss their requirements with us and may not be aware that we are willing to make changes or adjustments in order to overcome difficulties. However, please do talk to us and allow us the opportunity to make provisions, if at all possible. For example, storage of diabetic medicines or medication in a fridge is no problem, but we would ask that all items are clearly marked and in a container when given to Reception for storage.
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact our Reservations team on 01803 294361 or by email: email@example.com.
- We are located on Torquay sea front.
- Accessible busses stop just outside the hotel.
- The nearest Railway station is located 557m from the hotel.
- Guide dogs are allowed in the rooms, As are non Guide dogs.
- The Livermead House has Free car parking facilities for about 100 cars.
- The hotel’s Main Entrance and drop off point offers level access.
- A porter is available to offer assistance at Reception.
- The reception desk is 100cm high. Registration can be completed whilst sat.
- The Edwardian Restaurant and our lounges are all located on the ground floor.
- There are a number of comfortable chairs located in the reception area.
- Please ask the Concierge for assistance if required.
- One of our lifts has an audible enunciation system and tactile buttons at normal height.
- There is mirror at the back of the lift 132 cm high.
- Accessible bedrooms are located on each floor.
- The other lift is not suitable for a wheelchair.
- The Lounges are located on the ground floor, the flooring is short pile carpet. All with level access.
- An accessible toilet is located on the ground floor, with level access. It is fitted with grab rails.
- The flooring is non-slip ceramic tiles.
- This toilet is unisex.
Restaurant & Bar Area
- The is located on the ground floor via 3 steps with a grab rail.
- A portable ramp is available for all wheelchair users.
- The restaurant floor surface is short pile carpet.
- Restaurant tables & chairs can be moved.
- Lighting levels in the restaurant are generally lower in the evenings.
- Menus can be enlarged upon request.
- Restaurant meals can be served in the lounge upon request.
- The bar is located on the ground floor with level access.
- The bar floor surface is short pile carpet.
- Regrettably, We do not supply a Braille service.
- Please inform us of any dietary requirements on booking
- Laundry service and dry cleaning is offered. Please contact Reception for further details.
- There is no shop within the hotel.
- Newspapers can be ordered via Reception.
- Essential toiletries are available from Reception.
- The outdoor pool is not accessible for wheel chairs, There are 12 concrete steps down to the pool and Jacuzzi.
Conference & Banqueting Rooms
- All of our Conference Suites are on the ground floor with level access.
- All the Conference Suites have natural light and short pile carpets.
- Access to all rooms on all floors is restricted in certain areas, with small steps, changes of levels and, in a few cases, corridor turning areas which may restrict certain wheelchairs.
- Our Reception team will be happy to correctly allocate rooms, as soon as they are made aware of guest requirements. We would ask that requests are made at the enquiry stage as to the availability of our more adapted rooms.
- Being a traditional building, we have a large number of differing room types, with their own peculiarities and features, which are known by our Housekeeping and Reception staff. This includes Fire Doors and structural features that may prove to be a barrier to certain clientele and internal room layouts that may not be helpful for certain disabilities.
Our Room 26, which is located on the ground floor, is a disabled ‘friendly’ room.
- Has a walk in shower.
- Height of Bed: 53cm / 20”.
- Width of door: 75cm / 29”.
- Telephone is next to the bed.
- Furniture can be moved.
- Power socket on ground level.
- Transfer space of 96cm on one side.
- Flooring in the bedroom is short pile carpet.
- TV’s which provide subtitles are available.
- 2 wheelchairs fit in the room.
Room 26 Bathroom
- 2 Grab rails around the shower.
- Flooring in the bathroom is non-slip tiles.
- Height of the toilet 41cm / 16”.
- Height of the wash basin 78cm / 30”.
We are always happy to talk with clientele and discuss specific room requirements, as we are fully aware that there are very many variations needed.
Grounds & Gardens
Access to our gardens is either out of the front entrance and follow the car park, or go out of the Lounge door and down 4 concrete steps.
A recognised “Assistance Dog” is one which has been specifically trained to assist a disabled person and which has been qualified by one of the charitable organisations registered as members of Assistance Dogs UK. (Canine Partners, Dog A.I.D, Dogs for the Disabled, Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, Support Dogs, Guide Dogs, and Medical Detection Dogs).
All dogs are allowed in the hotel, but especially:
- Assistance dogs used for fetching and carrying people with manipulative and ambulatory impairments.
- Support dogs for stress and anxiety.
- Guide dogs for visually impaired and blind people.
- Hearing dogs used by low hearing and deaf people.
- Bowls can be provided for assistance dogs for food and water.
- No surcharge of maintenance or cleaning fee for customers with an assistance animal.
- If you require further assistance during your visit, Please contact the Concierge or Reception.
- We have a set fire evacuation procedure. In the event of a fire alarm please make your way to the nearest fire exit. If you have requested assistance upon check-in a member of staff will come to your room.
- All front of house staff have regular training.
- A list of equipment hirers is available from the hotel upon request.